Tuesday 11 July 2017

SGT. FRANK WILMOT C SQN. (RHODESIAN) SAS

MORE ABOUT FRANK WILMOT

After last week's post, I received a response from John Peirson with some personal information regarding the late Frank Wilmot. Unfortunately, I never got to know the man personally, although, as a Sergeant in the SAS, I know he must have shown remarkable resilience, courage and intelligence. John has given me permission to republish his words about Frank, a man he knew and respected. Thank you John. Please read on:-


At the time of Sgt Frank Wilmot's unfortunate death he was temporarily detached away from C Sqn SAS to Llewellyn Barracks as an instructor. At the time l was OC C Coy. Owing to operational requirements the size of the intake of trainees had been increased considerably. As the platoons were larger than the normal allocated number that platoon sgts could handle effectively, Army HQ had temporarily attached regular instructors to assist. Among these was Frank Wilmot. He was small in stature, good looking, and quietly spoken though self confident. I liked him immediately, as did all my instructors who had not met him previously. He fitted in and it seemed he had always been with us. In fact it was less than a month later when l received a signal from Army Headquarters instructing Sgt Wilmot's return by train to his unit that night. As no reason had been given, Frank approached me and asked for permission to phone the SAS officially, which he did from my CSM, the incredible Jock Hutton's office. Immediately afterwards Jock asked me if Frank could have an interview. Frank told me he was returning to do a night time operational HALO jump. He said he had really enjoyed his HALO course, but as he had done no continuation training for nearly two years he was not happy as there was no time for even one practice jump.. He actually used the word 'foreboding'. He asked me for my advice as he knew l was an experienced freefaller. I pointed out that l knew nothing at all about freefalling at night with a weapon and very heavy equipment. He then asked me, "Putting yourself in my place what would you do?" The best advice Jock and l could give him was to return to his unit, who after all were the experts and sort it out there. He thanked me and left but l could see he was disturbed. As one does l put the matter out of my mind. I was shocked to read of Frank's death in a sitrep a couple of days later, but thinking the matter through l realised there was nothing l could have done. As the reason for his death can never explained l hope he became unconscious in a flat spin, as he would have known no fear and felt no pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment