Sunday 24 September 2017

EARLY DAYS AND OTHER THINGS BY TREVOR SMITH episode 5

Another extraneous chore tackled by PTS was the development of 18 acres of land on the shores of Lake Kariba which had been assigned to the Air Force for use as a holiday resort.  This became known as the Welfare Site.  I accompanied Bill Maitland on several of the early visits when we positioned two caravans (ex Roads Dept), built an ablution block and made a start on a brick-built chalet.  Bricks were moulded on site with cement that we hauled from Salisbury.  Our efforts in this connection of course were well known so when the need arose for semi-permanent buildings on forward airfields, PTS was the obvious choice.

As long as our para commitments would permit, staff from PTS was frequently in hot areas doing construction work.  By "hot" I don't just mean in the sense that there were gooks hanging about who were always a threat to the unwary, but actually hot in the climatic, temperature manner.  In the Zambesi valley, and many other areas in the Lowveld, a normal summer day would see temperatures of 40+, and on exceptional days very nearly 50.  Devotion to duty and determination to get the job, done no matter what, was perfectly illustrated many times by the team of PJIs, stripped to the waist, toiling away in the most inhospitable conditions.  Tools became too hot to handle if left unattended so the normal tool-bag was replaced by a bucket of water in which tools were kept when not in the hand.

My ramblings about all these other things may give the impression that parachuting and para training was being neglected.  On the contrary, our activity in this connection never waned.  Boet Swart had returned to duty with the SAS and Derek became the new OC PTS.  Frank was commissioned to fill the post of Training Officer.  Bill Maitland was also commissioned and took command of the General Service Unit at New Sarum.  I was elevated to the position of School Warrant Officer with the rank of WO2.

In 1969 it was agreed that there could be some tactical use for freefall parachuting .  At the time we left Abingdon, the Royal Air Force had established a freefall team which, to the best of my knowledge, was then mainly for display purposes. As trainee PJIs we had no connection with that team, or any schooling in the principles involved. Frank Hales became our guide and leader into the different world of skydiving.

I had completed 327 static line descents when I made my first freefall.  Unlike some of my colleagues I did not take to this new business like a duck to water.  At least ten unstable, untidy, and very scary jumps were made before I began to feel comfortable, but I finally got the message and started to enjoy the ride. I completed just 30 freefall descents when things had to be put on hold.  Other para commitments took precedence, and, whilst we were thus engaged, better and more suitable freefall equipment was obtained.  Almost 18 months passed before I was able to get back to freefall, but luckily I had not forgotten how.

In June 1971, to add realism to a search and rescue exercise, PTS provided two parties to be "rescued". I emplaned with four PJIs and we set off as if flying to Kariba. About half way there I selected what looked like a suitable drop zone and from 5000 ft despatched Frank Hales and Ralph Moore - both landed smack in the middle of my selected area at approximately 10.05am.  Flt Lt Woolcock then changed course and we got on track as if flying from Bulawayo to Milibizi and on this path I despatched Derek de Kock and Charlie Buchan who also landed in the chosen spot at 11.10am.  That ended my participation in this exercise as we flew on to Wankie where we stopped for the night. The following day we flew on to Bumi Hills then Kariba to pick up our "rescued" PJIs.
This photograph shows some of the men who were trying to form one of the teams to compete against the South Africans. From L to R standing Sgt Iain Bowen (PJI), W.O. Trevor Smith(PJI), Sqn/Ldr Derek de Kock(PJI), Maj John Peirson. Kneeling L.to R. Unknown Sgt Rich Carroll(SEW), Sgt Ralph (the rat) Moore(PJI).   


In 1972 the Rhodesian armed forces were called upon to provide 2 teams of Free Fall Parachutists to compete against the South African armed forces in a spotting competition.The idea being to see how close one could land to a 150mm disc placed in a pit of soft earth about 5mts in dia. When we competed against the South Africans the year before we jumped from a Cessna 185 which climbed to 5000ft AGL without a problem carrying 4.parachutists. When it came to Rhodesia's turn to host these games we had no choice but to use what aircraft we had and these were the Trojan aircraft of #4 Squadron.These aircraft were nice and roomy and 4 parachutists were able to fit inside with ease. The problem arose when the Trojan tried to climb up to 5000 ft above Salisbury Airport  already 5000ft ASL.This was just too much for this little aeroplane and it started to have engine problems.and so did the next 4. It was found that it could climb to height in a reasonable time if only three parachutists were on board but 2 would be even better. We were going to tell the South African Team about the change when they arrived at New Sarum. However on the day the competition was supposed to run the weather gods came in and decided to blow with winds exceeding 50 Kts. Parachuting competition was forgotten and everybody came to my house where vast amounts of alcoholic were consumed. 


In September 1972 we formed two teams to compete against a visiting South African Forces freefall team.  Each team was 4 jumpers strong and we were using our Trojan aircraft.  This was a single-engine, high-wing monoplane with a rather slow rate of climb, but fortunately the whole exercise required a maximum height above ground of only 5000ft.  The competition consisted of just spot jumping with each team score being the combined distance of each member from the spot. I was first to jump in my team and, to do the spotting, I would climb out of the aircraft with one foot on the wheel and, gripping the wing strut, I could give directions to the pilot. When on the point of release that was all I had to do - release and the team would follow as quickly as possible.

During one of our practice jumps I nodded to the pilot that I was going out and waited for him to throttle back as usual.  I gripped the strut - placed left foot on wheel and eased up and out.  Then - "Oh - Shit".  I fell off. The pilot had forgotten to apply the brake so as my weight came on to it the wheel spun and away I went.  Jumping from the Trojan was one thing but falling out was a completely different matter.

The other unusual occurrence to befall me was on my final descent of that competition.  As No1 in the team I was opening at 2000ft and the remainder were opening higher to form a stack so that they could each individually aim for the spot after the man before had cleared.  I pulled rip cord correctly but nothing happened as it should have. To operate reserve I started a roll onto my back but as I started this I felt the pack snap open and the main chute deployed.  The opening shock was very uncomfortable as my position was lousy but it was comforting to see a normal canopy above me.

The ground party got quite agitated and I was threatened with being grounded for opening low to set an example.  My assertion, that I had acted correctly, was ignored so I received a torrent of abuse as was the wont of certain fellows.  Fortunately one of the South African officers had had a similar experience and he demonstrated how the delay was caused.

The freefall parachute is pulled from its pack by a spring-loaded extractor chute which is attached to a sleeve in which the main canopy is stowed.  The top coil of this large spring, after many repeated packings, can be seen as a circular outward impression in the outer pack material.  When the rip cord is operated heavy elastic cords pull the pack open allowing the extractor to pop up, catch the air flow and proceed with its work.  These elastic cords are secured to eyes on the pack by metal hooks.  It was demonstrated to us how these hooks can become snagged on the raised impression of the extractor spring and if, in the unlikely event that one on each side become hooked simultaneously, the pack would not be able to open.

By starting the roll onto my back I had disturbed the airflow sufficiently to cause the pack to flutter and dislodge the hooks allowing them to open the pack correctly. Thereafter such a reoccurrence was prevented by simply making a single twist in the elastic so that the hook was facing outwards when set.

My parachuting career ended in December 1972.  Somewhere along the line I had sustained an injury to my back (lumbar spine) which required surgery.  Whether that occurred as a result of one of the 456 parachute descents that I made, or as a result of my many failed attempts at high flying gymnastics on the PTI course, I cannot guess. It was, however, a nagging injury that had worried me for many years but which I chose to ignore as long as I could.

I remained at PTS for several months until promoted to WO1 and posted to Air HQ as assistant to the recruiting officer, Sqn Ldr Alan Cockle.  That was another very interesting duty which took me to all corners of Rhodesia where we exhibited our wares at Trade Fairs and Agricultural Shows. I also visited every High School in the country.

In 1975 I was granted permission to attend a full-time course at the University of Rhodesia where I graduated in 1977 with a Bachelor of Accountancy Degree.  I was then commissioned as Admin 2 at Air Force Headquarters.
Throughout this time I was, of course, still a PJI at heart and was always thrilled to be called back to PTS on the odd occasion when they needed an extra pair of hands. My final connection with parachuting matters was a most unpleasant one.  I was detailed as the convening officer of a Board of Inquiry into the first and only static line parachuting fatality.

I retired from the Air Force shortly after that and was transferred to the Officer's Reserve. My civilian job then was Admin Manager of a tea and coffee estate in the Chipinga area so I became Adjutant of the Chipinga Volunteer Squadron.  My first and last parade with this squadron was attending a formal dinner to mark the dissolution of the squadron


No comments:

Post a Comment