Thursday 26 October 2017

IAIN BOWEN RHODESIAN AIR FORCE PARACHUTE JUMPING INSTRUCTOR HIS STORY Part 1


This is the story of one of, if not, the youngest men to pass the selection course to join C Sqn (Rhodesia) SAS. Iain Bowen arrived at the Parachute Training School on the final phase of his training to join this elite unit of the Rhodesian Army and he was only 17 years old. At the time I was the Training Officer and  decided to look the other way. If the Army was willing to accept Iain who was I to rock the boat? Iain later, applied for training as a PJI and although he found it difficult to start with, he persisted and became a fine PJI, who was held in high esteem by his students and his  peers. Later he returned to the SAS where he again was accepted with open arms but this time as a Senior N.C.O. and was always regarded as a PJI.



Boss.
Here is my story as I remember it from all those years ago.
My interest in parachuting started when my sister started to go out with an SAS trooper Ken Aplin, who she later married. As he had just qualified into the squadron, my sister decided if he can parachute then so can she. So off she went to the parachute club at Mt Hampden and did a total of 17 jumps. I went out there one weekend to watch and that was it, I just wanted to parachute as well. However at that time in civvy-street you had to be 18 years old and I was only 17. One must remember, back in 1967, the double blank parachute was hot stuff and there were only a couple of PCs around, and you had to do 25 jumps before you could handle such a 'hot' rig!

Whilst there I met a couple of army guys who convinced me that doing my call up was a waste of time and I should sign on regular for 3 years as the pay was much better. So I duly signed up and joined the Army in February 1968. I did, and passed the SAS selection course, then on the 17th June 1968; there I was standing at the front of the PTS hanger to start my parachute course. I was on number 24 Basic Course.

There was a bit of a hassle as Trevor Smith was concerned I was only 17, but it was decided that as the qualification/end course date was the 4th July, and I would turn 18 that day, I was allowed to continue. Our instructor was F/Sgt. Hales.

My very first jump was 2nd of a stick of 2, 1000 feet, X-type parachute, from Dak 7303 on 25th June 1968 at 0630hrs. Even now I still remember that first jump. I can clearly remember gritting my teeth and having my eyes wide open. I wasn't going to miss a second of it. The slip stream ride and tug of the lift webs was so different to ground training. So was the landing. I remember jumping to my feet going 'Wow! Wow! I just have to do that again.’

I do remember Bill Maitland doing an x-type drifter for our load and did a run out of the door. How cool was that! The second jump I was number 1 in a stick of 2. Jump 3, I was 4 of 4. Two jumps on the 1st July, number 4 of a stick of 5 then number 7 of a stick of 10. The following week we did the 3 CSPEP(Carrying Straps Personal Equipment Parachute) jumps. Now that wiped the smile from the face. Still I enjoyed every jump I did and all the jumps I ever did. So I duly qualified as a paratrooper on 4th July 1968, my 18th birthday. 0635hrs. Number 7 of a stick of 9 C.S.P.E.P. (All X-type).

A week later, 12th July, I was back at PTS and did my first T10 jump out of 3708.My first night jump was on the 8th May, 1969, at a place called Hogarty Hill out of 7303 clean fatigue.

The next change in practice I have recorded in my log book is, 15th June 1970. We did a night jump at Seke. I was number 1 of a stick of 9 and in the remarks column is 'just rifle'. So I presume that is when we started just strapping the rifle to our side. After that there were many entries that just showed rifle and webbing, with only the occasional CSPEP.

I really enjoyed parachuting and as soon as I could I joined the SAS club run by Sgt. Tom Wooldridge. The local civvy club had now moved to Delport’s farm, south west of Salisbury airport. The chief instructor there at the time, was Frank Hales, who was my instructor from 24 basic at PTS. Frank duly gave me the required training and on 30 June 1969 dispatched me on my first civvy static line out of a Cessna 180 from 2500 feet. I did three static line and then onto free fall.

Joining PTS.
Whist operating down in the Zambezi valley in November/December 1970 I found out that PTS was looking for potential instructors. I am not sure who told me but I knew Charlie Buchan, and he told me he and Ralph Moore were going to put in for it. I think I may have been looked up, as I had 88 jumps by then, so I was obviously a very keen paratrooper, also a Lance Corporal by then.

At any opportunity I would get myself onto a load, often during a basic course, but several times just when the PJIs were jumping, and an invitation would be sent through to the orderly room for guys to go up for a bit of ground training. Or, if you had done that recently, then just pitch up at 0530 in the morning, or earlier, to get on the load. We used to freeze in winter going out to New Sarum, huddled in the back of a Sabre wrapped in blankets. People like Verge Mcluckie would roar out there in the frost as fast as the vehicle would go! No speed cameras in those days. I did notice that most of the time it was always the same little band of brothers who volunteered for these extra jumps. When I got back to Salisbury, I saw Pete Le-Roux, who was in the orderly room and told him and he said he might give it a go as well. The interesting thing was I knew several RLI guys at the civvy club and some like Cpl. George Albury, had 100+ jumps, but said 'No way would they do military jumping'.

George did put in for it some time later when you were looking for more PJIs. I seemed to remember he never actually started though.

I filled out the request forms and had them signed off by our Adj. Capt. Mike Curtin, or maybe Capt Ken Philips was still Adj. No one seemed surprised that I had put in for it. There was no selection process or interviews, or if there was I certainly don't remember them. I got the impression you had the guys you wanted, and that was it.

The squadron was down to about 70 men at this stage, so as you guys knew us all, and only a few showed a real interest in parachuting, it would have been an easy process working out who would be keen to join. The 3 of us just reported to PTS on the given date. I presume it was a Monday. Mike Wiltshire was already there and had been for a few days. How Mike found out I have no idea. You must have advertised in the newspaper? I do remember he just walked around singing that little ditty, 'the working class can kiss my ass I have a parachutist's job at last'.

We duly started our course some time in January 1971, and I'm not sure if we joined a Para course that was just starting, or just started doing jump practice and PJI training in between. My Rhodesian Air Force MT driving permit was issued on the 16th Jan 1971. I seemed to remember that we were all sent around to the MT section on the very first day. I do remember that Mike Wiltshire, as a civvy, had to do a driving test and we watched him drive around in that red Land Rover fire truck. The other 3 of us just showed our Army driving permits and the RRAF ones were just written out. I still have it and it definitely says 'Royal Rhodesian Air Force', the place was run by that large fierce lady.

As the only single one there, in March 1971, I was informed that I would be moving out of the SAS lines and into the single quarters at New Sarum. I was the only Army soldier there, and during barrack room inspections, I would put on my drill gear and snap to attention driving my right foot down so hard, it would make the building vibrate. The first time I did this and roared out my number, rank and name (as per Army doctrine) the young Lt. doing the inspection nearly had a heart attack. The WO 1, I think it was Ken Salter, thought this was just great and reckoned all the blue jobs in barracks should follow my example. Those were the days!

There was also the guard duty on the gate into the actual aircraft area. When I did my first stint, I just did it like I would have back at Old Cranbourne barracks. Their rifle drill was atrocious and weapons were swinging in all sorts of directions. Eventually I conceded defeat and just got them to 'stick the bloody things on your shoulders' or 'put them on the ground like your standing at ease'. Then the evening flag lowering parade. Well, they let the flag touch the ground which, in the Army, was an almost capital offence! I gave them a demonstration on how to do it properly and from then on things improved.

I did my first live despatch on 16th April 1971 at 0915hrs out of 7303 putting out sticks of 2. Then kitted up with an X type, and was allowed to 'run out' the door by Trevor Smith, who was No. 1 dispatcher.

Then on the 20th April 71 at 0615 hrs out of 7303 under a T10 I had my first BP (blown periphery – a parachute malfunction)! It slid off before I could pull my reserve so all was well. The next day, on the 21st, we did two jumps, the second, jumping a Double Blank at 0700 hrs out of 7303. I had another BP which slid the other way and I had an inverted canopy so ended up with crossed lift webs.

In May ‘71, we started doing Freefall training. I did my first PTS freefall on 19th May 71 out of 7309 at 0700hrs from 5000 ft and did a 360 left and a 360 right, using a Para commander rig. This was also my first free-fall out of a Dak.

Remember, as a member of the SAS and civvy club, I had already chalked up 152 jumps. I do remember on that first one, I know Frank was with me as the very large, aircraft style, altimeter I was using, packed up. Frank gave me the option of jumping anyway, which I did. After that I brought my small civvy altimeter along just in case. PTS then purchased several of the civvy style alties, and Mike and I went around to the machine shop and made the small mounts for them. These were designed by yourself and Frank. These then had velcro wrist straps fitted and we often used them. After a while you had the same small alties fitted to a plate that went onto the reserve chute. Later again you had small lights fitted for night free fall.

The PJI training was great. I admit I was not that good to start off with, and Trevor and Tony were very good and very patient. I struggled at first, and was too friendly in my outlook and definitely not forceful enough in my instructing. I felt that the general consensus was to give me the boot. I think my parachuting and skill at ground training helped to keep me there.

I was very good at ground training, and I would often be used as the demo for the other guys. Even on the block and tackle, which was enough to scare the pants off most trainees, Trevor would swing it high, Frank would swing it as high as he could and I would still manage to pull out a good PLF (parachute landing fall).

Then one day, it just fell into place. We were doing flight training and the others were sitting on the bench. I stood in front, slightly bent forward at the waist, hands together in front of me and asked a question, quickly pointing to the person 'I' wanted to answer the question. Then without giving more than two seconds, said 'too slow' and pointed to the next guy. I only gave him a couple of seconds, then stepped back a pace and, loud and clear, gave the correct answer myself. Then I promptly repeated the exercise with another question. It felt really good; I was in control of the class, just like that.

Trevor who was standing behind the class just smiled and gave a little nod of approval. I was away and became much more relaxed and found myself enjoying the whole PTS experience and not just the parachuting.

No comments:

Post a Comment